-
May 1st, 2006, 08:27 PM
#1
Inactive Member
My sister was just talking about me going away to college in two years, so I was wondering... did anyone take their doll(s) to college, are you planning to or are they at college with you right now? How many dolls did you bring? Personally I couldn't stand 4 years away from them all and I'll have a hard time choosing from the at least 14 I'll have by then!!
-
May 1st, 2006, 09:22 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Samantha and Felicity lived in my dorm room last year and Jess and Anna are my currernt dorm dolls. I was worried about having dolls in my dorm room the first two years. I was nervous that they might get stolen and thought I might seem nerdy, but got over it. I wouldn't take all fourteen though, because space is probably going to be an issue in any dorm room. Two is enough for me, though an apartment would probably afford more space.
The only reason my other dolls didn't come back to my dorm room this year was that it would have been a pain schlepping them all here from their current residence on the west coast, but the void has been filled by my two new dolls. I still feel a tiny bit self-conscious, but reaction toward the dolls has all been positive. My roommate and passersby thought it was cool that I had my dolls on campus, and my friends like seeing the new things I get for them or when I change their outfits for the seasons. Even my boyfriend tolerates my obsession in the same manner that I tolerate his video game and rpg obsession, lol, which is completely contrary to silly warnings from my stepmom. Girls bring all kinds of stuffed animals with them to school, so why not dolls, too?
For the most part, college is pretty laid back, so just about anything goes, and there are so many people that you'll find it easy to choose to simply not interact with the few who might be obnoxious. No offense to anyone who is a Greek, but the only place where one tends to hear any complaints of cattiness and bad attitudes that the rest of us had the sense to leave behind in high school tends to be in sororities, though that also seems to be pretty infrequent.
IMO, it shows a measure of self confidence to show that you are not afraid to display what you enjoy for others' possible judgement.
Also, I can probably get away with having the dolls a little easier than others since one of my majors is History, with an emphasis on the Colonial/Revolutionary and Progressive eras of Felicity and Samantha. Jess's story incorporates my interest in archaeology, and my Anna is going to star in her own stories incorporating this region's history. Plus, I have been involved in both Revolutionary and Civil War re-enactment and love doing costuming for both humans and dolls. So, my dolls also kind of serve as my inspiration.
The only negative experience I have had with my dolls in college is when a makeshift milk-crate shelf fell off of my wall and took out Felicity and her stand from the top of a bookcase below on its way to the ground. Fortunately, Felicity was only slightly shaken and dissheveled from the fall, though the same could not be said for her stand, which got bent. This was through nothing but my own irresponsibility. So, basically, just watch where you put things. It's not terribly smart to put a valuable doll at the mercy of makeshift shelves that may fall from above at any minute. Just keep her in a relatively safe spot and your doll should be fine.
It is best to leave small accessories at home though, as they are the most likely to get lost. Samantha must have dropped her little purse with her handkerchief and penny sometime during the year or during packing at the end, because it has not been seen since.
If theft is what concerns you most: make sure that you do not display your doll within close proximity to a door. Lock your room when leaving it unoccupied. (okay, most of us cheat this rule if it's just a quick run to the bathroom, but that's at our own risk! this is why leaving stuff right next to the door is an especially bad idea, since it makes it easy to grab and run) And, maybe wait to display your doll until the chaos of the first few weeks of the semester are over and you are more familiar with the trustworthiness of your particular roommate/s and the security of your living situation.
And, if you do get an apartment and, in this hypothetical situation, if you are 21 and decide to host parties at said apartment, you might want to find a place to keep the dolls where they cannot be accidentally damaged. You don't have to worry about it in dorms, but I'd also be concerned about having an apartment with a roommate who smokes if the building does not require them to do so outside.
People here in Central Pennsylvania are incredibly nice, so it could be that I am just lucky and/or naiive, but I have never had a problem with the fact that I have brought my dolls to campus. Just make sure that you bring their wire wig brush with you.
Oh, and try to avoid the temptation to spend hours buying more doll things and looking for items on ebay all the time. That can eat up your time and textbook funds. Basically, all things in moderation. Get work done first. Yes, do as I say, not as I do. (although I'm just taking a break now, really I am!) [img]wink.gif[/img]
please excuse the novel, but I hope I helped!
(Edited for a glaring spelling error)
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 01, 2006 06:23 PM: Message edited by: jerseycow6 ]</font>
-
May 1st, 2006, 09:29 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Short Answer:
Yes, I bring my dolls to college.
Long Answer:
They'd been in storage for awhile so freshman year, I didn't bring any, but I missed them. So, so much. I dug them all out that summer, proudly displaying them.
So Sophomore year, I decided I could still leave them and not miss them, but I was wrong. The first time I went home, I brought Lissie back up with me and again for Junior year (the one that just finished) but then she was lonely and so was I so I bought Sam. And then they were both lonely and the others hadn't met sam So I went home in September and brough them all up, further ensuring that I am lost to the world of AG.
If support is what you're worried about, I have three apartment-mates (my own bedroom) and they all humor me whenever I get a new catalog and a few hours of mooning over that and the once a month when I completely take over the living room to change them all. More recently, they've started telling me what I should put each one in, even telling me to go out of the time periods. And for my "long project" they have been a great help in consultation as to who would best be what superhero. And, we're sort of planning a trip to Chicago and they know a trip to AGPC is essential.
I have been incredibly lucky though. I love my roomies.
I really like having them with me though, they're a nice touch of home.
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 01, 2006 06:31 PM: Message edited by: supernonamegirl ]</font>
-
May 1st, 2006, 09:56 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I took one with me when I lived in the dorm freshman year, two with me the next year and then when I moved into my apartment junior year all of them came with me.
Mostly the repsonse I got from girls in the dorm was "OH I love american girls" and then they'd name their favorite.
The only reason I'd say not to take the whole collection (if you have a large one) is space. Two or three is probably good.
-
May 1st, 2006, 10:07 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I am in a very small dorm room, and I have 12 dolls here, and one more on the way. [img]redface.gif[/img] Did I mention that I have my sewing machine etc. here too? yeah. My poor roommate next year! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] (My current roommate is graduating in a few days).
-
May 1st, 2006, 10:14 PM
#6
Inactive Member
I lived in a college dorm for a few months last semester. I was just getting back into AGs then and didn't bring any to my dorm. I found myself really regretting not bringing any of my dolls with me. I'm back living at home now for a while with all my dolls displayed and if I do end up in another dorm, they would definitely be with me!
-
May 1st, 2006, 10:23 PM
#7
Felicity_Fan85
Guest
Last year I only had Felicity and as she is my first, I didn't want her getting stolen or hurt or anything (well that I wasn't fully into AGs at that point, but the board helped rekindle my love for them [img]biggrin.gif[/img] so Susie also stayed home when I got her for Christmas. But I was feeling lonely so I bought Kirsten and then Kirsten needed a sister with her, so I bought Kaya and Hannah (BB) and then Samantha came but she is for my mom for Mother's Day. But I love having them with me. I will probably keep it to 2 or 3 a year with me, so if I want to buy one or two this coming school year, I'll probably just bring one back. I also get positive responses from passers-by and friends. My roommate jokes about hurting my dolls, but she would never do it nd she knows if she did, she would have to pay me what a brand new doll costs. But now I know I could never live the school year without at least one of my girls. I have a drawer for my girls' stuff that I cought with them (meet accessories) and I bought a tin lunchbox to be a suitcase for them so their stuff fits in that, but I also agree with not bringing a lot of accessories.
I have brought Kirsten to my American Musical Theatre class when we watch the musicals on DVD/VHS at times. Normally I bring her in a backpack and take her out in the class. Nobady has said anything bad so far, but even if someone does, it doesn't matter. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and just remember there are plenty of college girls who collect AGs and bring them to college.
-
May 1st, 2006, 10:35 PM
#8
Inactive Member
I don't live in a dorm but I do live in a very small studio apartment(that could be a dorm). I am in college and I live off campus(I go to a 4-year commuter college). Anyways, I didn't get into AG(or even know about it) until I was in my 20s and now I have 15 18in dolls on 2 high shelves, and all the books. AG got me into reading which was something I never liked to do. I was especially thrilled that Samantha, Kit and Molly helped me get an A in history. I like reading the books when I don't want to deal with schoolwork.
A few years ago when I did go away to school and live in a dorm I began to accumulate tons of Beanie Babies which began to pile up in my dorm. Now they take up an entire small bedroom in my mom's house. I plan to sell them eventually, probably when my mom moves.
-
May 1st, 2006, 10:42 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Thank you so much for asking that question! I am leaving for college this fall and I was wondering it myself. Now I may bring one of my dolls with me and have the other one stay at my grandparent's house (which will be my official Virginia residence.) Woohoo! I won't be a complete nerd. Just a geek. Just as well that I'm going to a women's college where there will be a greater possibility of finding like minded individuals.
-
May 1st, 2006, 10:44 PM
#10
Inactive Member
That's so cool! Make sure to show pictures from the project!
Haha, yeah, the trip to AGPC with my friends during a pep band Big Ten Tournament trip to Chicago was definately fun. Don't forget to get Chicago's famous pizza while in the city! That stuff is seriously delicious!!!!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks